For the especially hirsute, body hair can be sort of an embarrassment. This is especially true for women since body hair makes them especially masculine – an expected no-no in a world that values femininity in women (of course!).
Thankfully, managing body hair is pretty simple and straightforward. While a one-time, hair removal treatment is either unsatisfactory, expensive, or radical in nature, there are other means to maintain a relatively fuzz-free existence.
Here are some of the body hair removal treatments you may consider when looking to rid yourself (or someone you love) of too much fuzz. Each may be suitable for different people. And sometimes, the choice you make is plainly preferential in nature.
1. Shaving. Shaving has been around for centuries – even millennia! They remain some of the most common treatments to extra hair around. Unfortunately, people familiar with how it works know how painful it can become – stubble, razor burn, irritation, and ingrown hair.
While newer methods are supplanting shaving as a hair management treatment, it remains popular. And if done properly, there is no reason why it shouldn’t be you treatment of choice. They have been effective for the past thousand years, haven’t they?
First of all, you will need to invest in good razors if you ever hope to achieve a smooth, irritation-free, burn-free shave. This will involve the use of high quality blades. Never settle for lower-quality blades as they have a greater risk of nicking, and cutting.
If possible, you should also consider purchasing electric razors. They have a lower risk of cutting and irritating you skin. They are also great in the shower – as long as they are waterproofed and designed for wet places.
2. Bleaching. You could also consider alternative treatments such as bleaching to help lighten the hair strands. Not only do they lighten hair, they also give them the impression of being thinner – therefore, less noticeable. If you have a light covering of body hair, then this could be the best option for you.
3. Hair Removal Creams and Lotions. You may also opt to use hair removal lotions and creams. These are fast acting agents that help dissolve and/or loosen hair in regions they are applied to. They are usually painless and effective.
The only downside to this treatment is the fact that they could cause allergies. Some agents can cause rashes, irritation, and itching. To avoid this, test the lotion on your elbow skin before going full strength on your bikini area.
4. Bikini Wax. The bikini wax treatment involves an application of a waxy chemical that hardens upon contact with skin. It then binds with body hair and is lifted using strips. It has the effect of plucking entire regions of its hair.
However, this method is a little painful, and may seem inconvenient to some. But if you compare that pain to its results, then it may well be worth it. Waxed areas won’t grow noticeable hair up to four weeks after the treatment. This is probably one of the most popular treatments around.
5. Electrolysis. Electrolysis is a permanent hair removal treatment that aims to banish your shaving and maintaining worries forever. It has to be done by a professional, though, and can be time-consuming and expensive to boot. However, after six such treatments, your hair worries will be nothing but a thing of the past.
There have also been home electrolysis units you can use at your own leisure. They work well too. But for safety’s sake – and since you will only need a few treatments before you kiss the machine goodbye anyway, sticking to a professional electrolysis service may seem a safe bet.
6. Epilators. These devices remove hair by the roots – pretty much like bikini wax treatment. This treatment works very well with stubble and short hair. It also keeps hair off for about a month and a half. This is great news for those looking for long term solutions to their bikini hair problems.
Whatever the treatment you choose, make sure it fits your lifestyle and your aesthetic goals. One may favor one treatment, and one the other. Fortunately, in the end, what matters is the fact that they all aid and abet one’s dream of a fuzz-free existence.