Synchronous Diaphragmatic Flutter (SDF) or Singultus is simply called as hiccups. It is an uncomfortable uncontrollable contraction of the diaphragm, which can be repeated for several times per minute.
The diaphragm is a muscle that used to separate the chest from the abdomen. If this muscle gets contract then it makes you breathe very quickly followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords. This, in turn, produces a characteristic sound of a hiccup.
This may occur either in bouts or individually but they last only for few minutes. In rare cases, it persists for hours. One may experience a slight tightening sensation of throat, chest or abdomen while having hiccups.
There are many reasons like excessive intake of alcoholic or carbonated beverages, eating too quickly, smoking, overeating or consuming very spicy foods, excitement or emotional stress, swallowing air while eating or chewing, etc. will trigger these hiccups.
Central nervous system disorders due to infection or tumor, gastrointestinal conditions, usage of certain medications, anesthesia, respiratory conditions, metabolic disorders, barbiturates, electrolyte imbalance, steroids, diabetes, kidney failure or tranquilizers, etc. are some causes for long term hiccups (lasts for hours).
Hiccups will disturb the work and make us unable to concentrate on anything. You can easily get rid of these hiccups with some simple tricks.
Home Remedies for Hiccups:
Here are some natural remedies that help you to stop hiccups without any treatment. Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Cold Water)
Most of us are well aware that any kind of shock will clear the hiccups. So, to distract and put your hiccups to result, you have to drink cold water to shock your system.
Here are few ways of using cold water for hiccups.
- Mix some honey in 1 glass of cold water and drink it quickly to get rid of hiccups.
- Cold water gargle will also work best. Take some cold water and use it gargle for a minute to keep the hiccups at bay.
- Sucking a small piece of ice for few seconds will help you in clearing the hiccups.
- For best and effective results, drink 1 glass of cold water in upside down position. Simply bend down at the waist and put the head down. Then drink the water from opposite side of the glass rather than a normal side. Repeat this drinking, if required to get rid of hiccups quickly.
Remedy – 2: (Breath Holding)
Holding the breath is an age – old remedy for controlling hiccups. This will increase the amount of carbon dioxide in your bloodstream and thereby distract the mind to stop this cycle of hiccups.
- First of all, take a deep breath and hold it as long as possible without letting the air out.
- Then exhale the breath gently in a controlled manner.
- Repeat this cycle of inhale, hold and exhale the breath for several times till the hiccups are stopped completely.
Remedy – 3: (Sugar)
Sugar is a sweet remedy that especially works for small children in getting rid of hiccups. Swallow sugar to stimulate the vagus nerve and thereby clear hiccups.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of brown (or white) sugar into your mouth with your spoon.
- Then hold the spoon in the mouth for 5 seconds and remove the spoon.
- Now allow the sugar to slowly dissolve in your mouth without chewing it.
- Finally, sip some water to stop the hiccups.
Note: Not only children, everyone (except diabetic) can follow this method to get relief from hiccups.
Remedy – 4: (Vinegar)
We all know that vinegar has a sour taste, which helps to distract your mind and thus stops the hiccups. You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar or malt vinegar to do this trick.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar and swallow it followed by 1 glass of water.
- Or dilute 1 teaspoon of vinegar with little water and swallow it slowly to stop your hiccups.
Remedy – 5: (Peanut Butter)
Peanut butter is ancient remedy used to keep your hiccups at bay due to its gooey, sticky consistency that interrupts the breathing pattern while you try to swallow it. This will helps you in stopping the continuous hiccups.
- Place 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in your mouth.
- Swallow it after holding this butter in your mouth for few seconds.
- Don’t chew this butter while holding or swallowing.
- Drink 1 glass of water, if required after swallowing the butter.
- Repeat the same process whenever you suffer from hiccups.
Note: If you don’t have peanut butter then replace it with almond butter to get rid of hiccups.
Remedy – 6: (Breathe into a Paper Bag)
Breathing slowing and deeply into a small paper bag will increase your carbon dioxide levels in the blood and thus makes the diaphragm contract more deeply to get more oxygen. This is a time tested remedy for hiccups.
- Press a small paper bag (brown bag) around your mouth.
- Now take your breath slowly and deeply into it.
- Continue breathing in this way for several times to get rid of hiccups.
Note: People with heart and stroke is not recommended to do this process. Also, follow this method at your own comfort level.
Remedy – 7: (Lemon)
Just like vinegar, lemons too have a sour taste which helps to overwhelm the irritated nerves and make you feel relief from hiccups. It is a sure shot way to disappear hiccups.
Here are few ways of using lemon for hiccups.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of undiluted fresh lemon juice and put it in your mouth. The sour taste will compel you to swallow the juice hardly and thereby stops your hiccups immediately.
- Dilute the juice of 1 lemon in 1/2 glass of water. Stir well and drink it quickly to stop hiccups.
- Sprinkle a little salt on a small piece of lemon. Start sucking the juice out of the lemon slowly. This process will help you in getting rid of hiccups and calm down your throat.
Remedy – 8: (Cardamom)
The muscle relaxing properties of cardamom will help to clear hiccups.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of freshly ground cardamom powder in 1 glass of hot water.
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes and strain the mix.
- Then drink it slowly to get relief from hiccups and to calm down your nerves and throat.
Remedy – 9: (Chamomile)
Chamomile has muscle relaxant properties that help to ease the contractions in your diaphragm causing hiccups.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile herb in 1 cup of water.
- Steep for 5 – 10 minutes and drink it slowly to stop your hiccups soon.
Note: Or pour 2 – 3 drops of chamomile essential oil in a brown paper bag and hold this bag over the nose and mouth. Then take slow and deep breaths into the bag to get rid of hiccups.
Tips and Precautions:
- Laugh loudly or sing to distract the mind and thereby to stop hiccups.
- Drinking some fizzy beverage will help to clear hiccups by inducing a burp.
- A simple technique to ease diaphragm spasms and to stop hiccups is to hold the end of your tongue with your fingers and tug it.
- Place your fingers in the ears and breathe deeply for a few seconds. Also, use a cotton swab to tickle the soft palate of the roof of your mouth.
- Chewing a small piece of ginger will slowly fight the hiccups.
- Avoid or lessen drinking alcoholic beverages, as they damage the lining of the food pipe and thereby results in frequent hiccups.
- Never ever eat in a hurry, as it allows not only food but also air to get into the food pipe and thus results in hiccups. So, you have to spend some time and chew properly and eat slowly.
- Consuming spicy foods will irritate the esophagus lining and stomach to get rid of hiccups. Also, avoid overeating.
- Try the technique – open mouthed swallowing method to get relief from these hiccups. Another one is to hold your nose and close the mouth as long as you can or until your hiccups are gone.
- Following other remedies like chewing 1 teaspoon of dill seeds, swallow 1 teaspoon of powdered chocolate drink mix, drink water with a paper towel on the top of the glass, drink plenty of water, etc. to get rid of hiccups.
Try these Natural ways to get rid of hiccups. Do you know any other successful remedies to stop hiccups? Then share it with us in the below comments box.